English Español

Financial Aid

Share this post

Submit to DeliciousSubmit to DiggSubmit to FacebookSubmit to Google PlusSubmit to StumbleuponSubmit to TechnoratiSubmit to TwitterSubmit to LinkedIn

Financial Aid

Once you know the career you want to pursue, our staff can help you figure out how to pay for any training or education you may need. We can help you complete a budget, then determine your eligibility and help you apply for different types of financial aid opportunities such as:

  • Pell Grants - federal grants that do not have to be repaid. They are only awarded to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. The maximum Pell Grant for the 2015-2016 award year is $5,775. The amount you receive will depend on your financial resources, the cost of attendance, whether you’re a full or part time student, and whether you attend school for a full academic year or less. You may receive only one Pell Grant in an award year, and you may not receive Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time. To learn more, visit one of our six locations and speak to our staff or visit the financial aid website at www.fafsa.ed.gov
  • Individual Training Accounts - Workforce Solutions regularly analyzes the regional labor market, looking for industry and occupational trends. Based on this analysis, we have identified a list of targeted occupations that are in demand or are emerging in the local economy. To see which occupations Workforce Solutions supports with its dollars, click here or here. Individuals who receive training and educational support from Workforce Solutions must use a training provider and program in our Eligible Training Provider System.

Visit one of our five WFS Offices to apply for financial aid. Although the specific items needed can vary, some of the common documents and information we ask for include:

  • Social Security card
  • Photo identification, such as driver’s license, passport, or other government issued document
  • Birth Certificate or Alien Registration Card indicating right to work or citizenship
  • Pay stubs, tax returns, or other documentation showing how much money you make or made
  • Lay off notices or letters if you’ve recently been laid off or lost a job due to the business closing.

Our staff will ask you to fill out an application and provide us with the documents listed above that support your family income and your work status. View our Locations page to find the WFS Office nearest to you.

Workforce Solutions is able to offer limited financial assistance to qualified and selected individuals for job training or other educational purposes through funding by the Workforce Investment Opportunity Act (WIOA). Assistance may be for tuition, books, fees, and certain approved supplies, but will depend on your individual situation. You will need to have the resources for the basic needs of living while attending training or school. You must attend full time and should; therefore, carefully consider how to meet your basic living needs.